
We got to Acapulco at noon on Friday, the 11th. We spent the afternoon taking a city tour and then watching the cliff divers. It was pretty fun, we learned some interesting things. But it was not my most desirable way of seeing the city. I would rather walk around and explore, but with our guys, that is pretty hard. So a van tour was a good option. We saw different parts of the city and experienced Mexican drivers. They are crazy! I saw very few traffic lights, people pretty much do whatever, and everyone understands how it works. We also saw a little farming village which was pretty cool. There were piles of coconut shells everywhere and they use those to make fire. They also use the coconut for food (obvioulsy) and they use the palm tree wood to build things and so nothing goes to waste. We also watched a guy make some roof shingles. Very educational. Then we saw the cliff divers, which was ok, but i wasn't totally amazed or anything, but I suppose it is pretty impressive. I guess it was something neat to see, but not something I would go around raving about I guess. It was a hot and tiring day and we had to pay 30 cents each to use the washrooms (i didn't need to, but i think i might've refused to go anyway). But overall it was an interesting experience.
The city of Acapulco.
Piles of coconut shells waiting to be used for fires.
Nick & Bruce sampling fresh coconut.

Watching this man make roof shingles.

Cliff Divers. Look closely, you can see a diver who had just started going. He's kinda blurry, kinda hard to see...
Hope, Susie & I winding down at an evening show back on the ship... which I snoozed through...
Next stop - Zihuatanejo!
3 comments:
COME HOME!!! I miss you I love you come home!!!!! Looks fun.
Did you know that palm wood is considered a sustainable wood? and it is cool to see that it is widely used in Mexico, nothing going to waste...and how in the world do they form shingles out of the palm wood? That is so neat!
the shingles are actually made of clay. so it was pretty easy to shape. takes about a minute to make each piece of shingle, and then they are set out to dry before being baked.
Post a Comment