Port three was Skagway. We had to wake up at the crack of dawn to get ready, eat breakfast and be to our shore tour by 8am. We did the scenic Whitepass train ride... a really really long train ride... i think it was supposed to be 20 miles round trip but ended up being 28 miles or something. Let's just say that it was 2 hours too long (four hours total and it was supposed to be three hours... which is still too long). It was also a cold rainy day.
Here's the big long train. I'm not sure how many cars, but it was long... just like that train ride. LONG.
We started out having a pretty clear view of everything we passed. And it was pretty scenic.
And as we climbed higher and higher up, it got a little foggy. Ok, a lot foggy. But it still looks kinda cool in pictures.
But after you cleared all that fog, it was clear again and pretty!
We saw a lot of random things. Like this old bridge. Looks a little rickety...
We even went into Canada and up as far as Frasier, BC... which doesn't mean much to me because i'm not sure exactly where that is. So here is the US flag, Alaska flag, BC flag, some unknown flag... oh maybe Yukon? i dunno... and the Canada flag at the midpoint of the train ride.
And this sign showing... well, you can read.
On the way back down it was foggy most of the way. We went through this tunnel and the tour lady over the loud speaker said "and after we come through the tunnel, you will be able to see an immaculate view" ...and we came out and... ta da... what a view.
By the end i was just ready to get off, plus we had inhaled a lot of sooty air on the way down... and ugh, it was just getting uncomfortable and... a little boring. Back in town, we found a good touristy spot for pictures...
And then did some shopping in this cute little town! They've tried really hard to keep it looking like it's original self.
And for some reason, i thought this was hilarious, so I had to take a picture. Something about the word butts.... yeah, i'm in high school still. hahaha.
After a full day of outings, we went to the chocoholics buffet on the ship in the later evening. Like the last cruise, the smell was overwhelming but there were several cool chocolate sculptures. Here's a samplin'. 


I took a few things to sample... and gross, it was all a mistake. I'm not sure I liked any of these things...
Last port coming up: Prince Rupert, BC!
7 comments:
Speaking of "Butt", remember our local drug store in Corydon? "Butt Drugs" Yeah, it still makes me laugh.
I love your posts! fun pictures! I am jealous of your travels! and I miss you even though you are only a few miles away! :(
You're still in high school?
this is the longest vacation ever... and btw, that chocolate looked good, but not surprised at all that it tasted bad.
Who'd you go to Skagway with? So cool Nancy, you go everywhere! I almost worked in Skagway in 2005, but I chose Anchorage instead.
ha, love all the skagway pictures, although last time i was there (with dad and andrew in, like 1990 or something like that), it was 4th of july and the place was all festive-like! cool to remember (kinda) the place again though!
you shoulda sat your butt on the BUTTS sign..haha! Yeah, I remember the chocoholics night, the smell made me want to gag!
oh, and I couldn't stop laughing at "the view" at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully when we die, "the view" will be better than we'd expected, right?
Post a Comment