Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Weekend -- in Hawaii

Although Jason claimed that we didn't take any pictures on Saturday, I'm pretty sure this was our Saturday entertainment...
Ashlyn is already practicing her poses.
Other than those few pictures, it was a terribly windy, rainy, cloudy day that we filled with food, movies, and a trip to Costco. It was very exciting.

The next day being Sunday, the sun finally broke through all morning long. A lovely day to visit Pearl Harbor. It was an educational experience for me. What I knew about Pearl Harbor is what I learned in US history when I was 16... which was not much. I found that there was MUCH more to know. While dad and I were in the museum reading up on history and seeing things like this,
Ashlyn was outside doing this... hugging palm trees. Hahaha.
After going through the museum and seeing a short film, we hopped on a boat that took us over to the Arizona.
The list of names of all those who died on the USS Arizona... so many people...
Most of the Arizona is under water though you can see parts of it out of the water too. We read that 1-2 quarts has been leaking everyday since it sunk. You can kinda see the oil on the water here. Even so, the fish still swim around... can you see the fishies in the water?
Us on the boat again that took us back to the museum area.
Another lovely creation... I forget what this is. But see that big black thing right there? Ewww... well he found Jason smelling so sweet that he buzzed all over him and even summoned his friend to join him. Poor Jason, he was the only one that was attacked. Luckily, no one was injured.
Remember this picture of the tourists on Jason's blog? Well, I thought I'd give you a looksy of what Heather and I are taking pictures of...
Jason was correct. Palm trees! Here's Heather's picture.And here's mine!
Oahu! Jason's finger is.... pointing to something specific I'm sure. That gold colored thing almost straight down from his finger is Diamond Head crater that we hiked a couple days before. That white circle to the left of that is about where they live (i think), and then of course Pearl Harbor over to the left more.
And our last stop before leaving was the submarine graveyard. Jason would not let us leave till we paid tribute to the submarine name after us... the USS Tang. Ok it's a total lie but whatever. You can see the picture of it on his blog is you so desire.

After church that day where dad seemed to know everyone and their dog... ok just one person which led to a few connections and no dogs... we joined the Nitahara's for thanksgiving dinner. Who's to say that you can only eat a thanksgiving dinner at thanksgiving? Fact (that has nothing to do with this trip): In the last 6 months, I've eaten at least 8 turkey dinners (turkey and all the trimmings). That's the most turkey I've ever eaten in such a short period of time! I'm turkey-ed out!

Anyway, up next, the North Shore tour!

3 comments:

the man said...

You Turkey! Gobble Gobble. That's what you did to them anyways. I knew you were taking pictures of palm trees... how ridiculous, for Heather anyways. Anywho, another lovely report. You should come again.

the man said...

you know what's jacked up on a 2nd look... Ashlyn's pony tails, totally not symmetric. I'll have to point it out to Heather. That's kinda embarassing.

Michelle said...

What? The lopsided pigtails are the sign of an actively cute girl!