It was fun to be in Maine, it had been 3 years but really not much has changed. A couple of new buildings here and there but still good old Bangor Maine. In true Tang fashion, our holiday revolved a lot around food, food, food, and movies. I did go to the dentist after 3 years and my teeth felt amazing afterwards. And no cavities! Dad and I had Thanksgiving dinner at the Strong's then later that week, Annie came out from Michigan for a few days!
On Saturday the 29th, we had a memorial service for mom. It was nice to see many of the people in Maine that I haven't seen for a while. It was a lovely service, where Annie and I were privileged to speak along with 4 other people in the ward.
Instead of having flowers at the service, dad decided it would be more mom like to display some of her favorite books, which included the scriptures, church books, cooking books, nutrition books, childrens books, health books, and Chinese books. We also displayed her picture and the book that Michelle made.
Right after the service, there were refreshments and visiting and then we got right to work and helped with the upcoming annual creche exhibit. I'm pretty sure people thought we were crazy, or that it was typical of us to stay... "of course the Tangs' would be helping right after they had their memorial service!"
Here's dad and Tony Bernatche "working" so hard. Haha, ok fine, they just finished painting those black things.
And they actually did some manual labour (but only after they realized I was snapping photos! haha)
Annie ironed many many large pieces of fabric while music was playing out of her bum (no, Jason, not THAT kind of music... she had her iPhone playing some tunes in her back pocket!) And me, well I helped Sis. Rand organize all these papers, and then I helped Annie iron... sorta.
Sunday night we made sushi. YUM! Dad the master teaches Annie the art of sushi making. We had a few kinds of fillings... lobster, imitation crab, carrots, avocado, egg, bbq pork.
Yup, they turned out amazing and delicious. And very pretty with the asparagus and carrots dad cooked up. OOOOO. AHHHH.
Because Maine is so primitive and still a little behind on things, we have to use outside toilets.
Uh right, using modern toilets sitting on a driveway. Hahaha. Dad got a new toilet back just before Jason and Heather visited and the old toilet is still waiting to be hauled away. In the meantime, it makes for funny pictures.
Annie left on Monday afternoon but not before she and I saw the movie 'Twilight'. Yeah, we were 2 of 3 people in the theatre. Probably because it was the first showing on a Monday morning. I can't even believe we went and saw it. It was laughable, but I wasn't expecting much so at least I didn't come away totally disappointed.
By the way, this VitaMix machine is incredible. Dad and I had a breakfast drink from it each morning and a few nights, we also enjoyed a delicious smoothie.
I definitely need to get one... well um, if we get more economic stimulus money. Or when I make more than... well more than I make now.

Well, as all good things must come to an end, I did have to leave eventually, although I did tell dad multiple times that I could stay... He still sent me off though.
Up above the clouds I left, back to Utah...


10 comments:
I found you! I'm glad we can be bloggidy blog friends now! he he
HA! I love this post! I love the table arrangement of mom's books! Annie, that's the biggest ironing board I've ever seen. Nice try Bro. Bernatche and dad at pretending to work hard. Okay Nana, what are you, a cross between Iron Chef and Zoolander? Dad, nice garnishes -- a true master chef. I only wish I could have been there... *sniff sniff*
And, BTW, nice squatting action ladies! :)
Yeah, so anyways, nana, I made it home, semi-frozen but safe -- hurrah for studded tires!
Die Bean.
That's all I'm going to say poopoo head.
Nice trip, wish allt he sisters could've gone huh? That would've been fun... and a estrogen overload for dad all at the same time!
Mmm...sushi... Excellent presentation. Glad to hear that everything went well.
I love your posts!
why didnt you ever make us sushi when we were roomies? Actually...I dont think I acquired the taste for it until I moved to California. I am glad that I found your blog - and so sorry to hear about your mom. It is great to see where all your family is though and how many nieces and nephews there are!
About the toilet picture: I don't want to talk about it.
Wish we were hanging out right now.
Oh, I am so bummed I missed you. Stupid Florida. I love books instead of flowers. I love serving right after her memorial, that really is what life if all about. It had to have been your dad's influence to get Bernatche working! Sushi, yum! Love the pooper shots! Looks like you had a good visit.
Awesome! I love the books, I love the creche exhibit (well, I can imagine that I would love it anyway), and I love the sushi...and if you love the Vitamix machine, then I do too!
Nancy, this was a wonderful summary for all of us that couldn't be there. It also made me miss Maine very, very much. Maybe it's the holidays, but I'm feeling very homesick. We send our love to all of you!
Post a Comment