Monday, September 15, 2008

Longboarding... Sometimes You Fall...

Oops.
So i fell. Gimme a break. The road around our new complex is awesome for longboarding. Very smooth. Not too busy. I was doing great, getting pointers from my friend Mark (it was one of his boards i was riding... I don't own a longboard and you can see why...) practicing my turns and just enjoying the fresh night air. I turned onto a street that had a slight decline... that got a bit steeper. I went a teeny bit faster... and then a lot faster. Many thoughts passed through my mind in a split second... should I bail? Am I going too fast to jump off safely? Should I try to turn or will that be a disaster? I didn't follow any of my thoughts. But I'm pretty sure that if I would've followed any of them, the results would've been the same. So from what I remember, the board rocked under me, I lost control and balance and went down. Mark told me later that I had too much weight on my back foot... he saw the whole thing happen from behind me and I'm sure I freaked him out. The result: Scraped elbow and knee. Bruised hip and leg and arm. And a whole lot of embarassment. But I was fine really. I got up pretty quick and walked away with adrenaline pumping high and very grateful that I escaped worse injuries.

If any of you remember my incident from 2002 where, at the suggestion of Emily, I naively rollerbladed down a steep hill and took a tumble, this was almost like a deja vu. Except that I was longboarding this time. And the hill wasn't nearly as steep, and I didn't yell, my pants stayed intact (the back of my jeans split way open in '02), and I was not even 100 feet from my front door. So this was like an improvement! And thank you to Eli for helping to patch up my wounds.

Well this little incident probably won't stop me from longboarding again. I'll just be sure to stay off the hills from now on. Apparently, me and them don't get along so well.

As a side note, I went to the Aquarium with RAH last week, and I think these jellyfish were some of the coolest things there. Partially because they were swimming under a black light.

6 comments:

andrew said...

You walk on left side...safe, You walk on right side...safe, you walk in middle...*squish*...just like grape...

Not totally relevant, but that's the first thing that came to my mind.

Quick! Quick! What movie???

ELI said...

No prob Nancy face! You would have done the same for me (and probably without overreacting which I, on occasion, have done).

Love you

Megan and Sean said...

OUCH. I hate pain.

Lynnie said...

I'm glad you survived to tell the tale. Seeing the door in the background reminded me that I am dying to see picts of the new place. AH yeah.....aquarium. You should come visit me and I'll take you to the Baltimore National Aquarium. It's the aquarium for the nation of Baltimore.

Michelle said...

Dudette, just remember what happened to our friend in Canada...PLEASE wear a helmet (even if it is your dorky pink camo one). I don't want to see you end up in RAH as a participant you know.

...BTW, nice shirt! twee hwee!

Alyssa said...

I tagged you on my blog...mwa hahaha